Here are 5 tips to help you out based on my experiences.
- Start with a very specific goal. Don’t just say “I’m going to write a blog post.” Say “I’m going to write this blog post and have it finished and promoted by noon.” You want to get specific with your goal and work hard to meet it. Setting a deadline for yourself helps. Don’t feel like you need to make it a harsh deadline but don’t give yourself three times what you actually need.
- Take care of distractions first. Check your email, social media, and all of that quickly before you sit down to work. If it’s done that’s one less excuse you have to distract yourself.
- Close out of anything not related to that task. If you leave extra programs or tabs open you’re just giving yourself more distractions. On top of that, you’re exiting out of anything that might ping you with a notification and break your focus.
- Take breaks. Every 30 minutes take 2-3 minutes to turn off your monitor. Your eyes shouldn’t be staring at a screen that long anyways. Every 60 minutes take a 5 minute break to walk around. You’re going to burn yourself out and stress out your body if you don’t take breaks. Your health is important!
- Figure out what works best for you. Maybe you work best in the mornings. Maybe you focus better after a jog or meditation. Maybe caffeine makes you jittery so you focus best an hour or two after that first cup of coffee.
I hope these tips help you out. It sure feels great getting back to doing videos. I was prompted to do one after joining blogging challenge Bonnie Gean is running this month. Each day has a different type of post for everyone to do so we can all add more variety to our blogs. Today was a video post. If you want to join in, click here.
So, what helps you stay focused? Are there any specific things that help you get things done without getting distracted?