Today I had a bit of a “harsh truth” type post planned but I decided to save it for tomorrow because I know a lot of you guys also follow Tiffany Dow and I want to give you some time to recover from her “swift kick to the rear end” post about making excuses in business. I’ll finish it up after dinner and share that with you tomorrow instead. =D
Instead we’ll be talking about blog commenting. A lot of people really underestimate the power of commenting on blogs, or they just do it completely wrong. This will be a series of lessons. By the end you’ll know:
- The real power of blog commenting.
- How to choose which blogs to comment on.
- How to craft a blog comment that is more likely to be approved by a blogger.
- And more!
Today is going to be all about the first bullet point. Most people talk about blog commenting to build backlinks to your site, and you DO gain backlinks this way, but that’s more of a nice added bonus.
I’ve got a little saying about backlinks…
So, why post blog comments?
It’s all about making connections!
- Connect with the blogger. I’ll use myself as an example here. I have a lot of bloggers I’ve followed for years. I read their blogs and learned from them. When I first started reading it was almost like these awesome people were so out of reach that all I could do is read and hope to one day be as successful and awesome as they are. I lurked and learned and there is nothing wrong with that, but things started to change the more I commented. I started building a relationship with these bloggers. Now many of them are great friends, partners on projects, or even regulars here.
- Connect with readers on other blogs. Take a look at some of the comments on my posts here. I have people post fairly often that they see me comment all of the time on so-and-so’s blog or that the were interested in a comment I made and decided to check my blog out as well. I’d have this over backlinks any day.
- Get your name out there. Part of building your brand is getting your name out there for people to see and remember. Commenting on popular blogs can help with that!In part 3 we’ll talk more about leaving comments that will increase your chances of getting remembered.
It doesn’t take a lot of time for blog commenting to make a huge impact. In part 2 I’ll tell you how I find blogs to comment on and how to spot ones that may not be worth the time of leaving a comment.
If you don’t already comment on blogs, why not? If you do, what are some of your favorite IM related blogs to comment on and why?