This post is going to be a bit shorter than usual. I’m going to give you a list of things I look for when deciding if I want to comment and then I’d like you to do the same in the comments. Everyone will be a bit different, so let’s take this change to learn from each other!
- I comment on blogs where people tell stories.
- I comment on blogs where the blogger replies and has conversations in the comments.
- I comment on blogs owned by new bloggers. If I am on Twitter or get an email from a reader about their new blog post on their new blog, I’ll head over and say hi because everyone loves knowing their blog is read.
- I comment when I have an opinion on what was said, whether for or against.
- I comment when I have some extra information.
- I comment when I blog post really hits me or I learn something neat.
Are you kind of getting where I’m going with this? I don’t have fancy SEO needs. I don’t care if links are dofollow or nofollow. I don’t care about page rank. I care about the people who are receiving these comments.
I probably won’t comment if…
- Your blog post is so full of typos I can’t get through the post.
- Your post is boring and lacks personality.
- I don’t have anything constructive to add other than “nice post”.
- The blog seems to be abandoned and hasn’t been posted in for a long time.
- The posts have a ton of spam comments. I assume it’s an autoapprove which means the blogger likely isn’t reading the comments.
You probably thought this post was going to be super profound or a guideline to finding good blogs, didn’t you? No, I’m just telling you that when it comes to blog commenting… read blogs you enjoy. If you enjoy the blog, take a moment and leave a comment to engage.
I generally don’t comment on blogs unless I’ve read a few posts from them but that’s just because I’m not sure I like the enough to want to connect. That doesn’t need to be the case with you.
For those of you who did come here looking for a guide to finding blogs to comment on, that will be coming up in part 4.
So, what makes you want to comment on a blog? Are any of your guidelines similar to mine?