Lately I’ve been getting a lot of emails with spammy or downright deceitful subject lines. Some of these are even from marketers I once followed and learned from. Not anymore. These are the kind of people I’m happy to unsubscribe from.
Email lists are about building that trust. Well, when you use these types of subject lines you lose my trust and I have no reason to believe you’re going to be truthful with me in the future.
Here are some of the offenders I’ve gotten recently:
- “You’ve earned a commission.” – Advertisement for their product about affiliate marketing.
- “We’re transferring money to your bank” – Exact copy of a subject line PayPal uses.
- “RE: anything” – Fake reply emails drive me crazy. I email back and forth with clients, customers, readers, newbies… the list goes on. I expect a personal email and get an advertisement. Ugh.
- “I tried to call today.” – I’ve been getting this one a lot. I email with my mom and that’s a subject line I see from her a lot. I hate seeing it from a marketer who is just using it to get attention.
- Anything trying to imitate PayPal, Amazon, or any other site I earn commissions from or get money though. It’s just spammy.
If you need to resort to trickery to get people to open your emails, you’re doing something wrong. You need to rethink your strategy.
What are some of the worst subject lines you’ve come across recently?